Saturday, January 26, 2008

Upside Down

With most of my tax preparation done, it's time to get back to painting!

When I began working in pastel five years ago, I was in love with the look and feel of applying it to a surface. As I look back at some of that work now, I wonder what I was thinking in terms of composition (apparently, I wasn't thinking anything).

Before the holidays, I unframed one of those old paintings to reuse the frame. I hung the piece upside down on my studio wall as a place to store it until I decided what to do with it - rip it up or crop it. Yesterday it caught my attention. It looked like a landscape instead of an upside down unsuccessful painting.



Hmmmm. I taped it to my easel and rubbed the image away with my fingers.



Taking clues from what remained of the previous painting, I discovered a different scene. This painting will probably never be framed and sold but it was an interesting experiment and it felt great to be painting again!