Tuesday, January 27, 2009

path to lake, revisited

This painting is from a September fishing trip to Canada. I was painting plein air from the upper deck of our chalet - listening to conversations below, smelling dinner cooking. I was determined to paint this scene but my lack of enthusiasm for painting and increased interest in food shows. Brought it home, put it away.

Today I took it out and washed it off. This painting didn't have a foundation of watercolor or oil under the pastel. I could have scrubbed the surface clean if I wanted to start a totally different painting but I thought I'd give this composition another try - this time, without the scene in front of me and without a reference photo.

I applied an oil underpainting and changed a few things. We'll see what happens next...

No comments: